Just About Barbie

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Rasputin
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2005
    • 63906

    #1

    Just About Barbie

    TEHRAN (AFP) - Iran's toy market is being inundated by models of Barbie, Batman, Spiderman and Harry Potter and the young must be protected from their harmful cultural effects, the prosecutor general was quoted as saying on Sunday.




    "Promoting figures like Barbie, Batman, Spiderman and Harry Potter and the uncontrolled import of CDs of video games and films should alarm all the country's officials," Ghorban Ali Dori Najafabadi was quoted as saying by the student ISNA news agency.

    "We need to find substitutes to ward off this onslaught, which aims at children and young people whose personality is in the process of being formed," he added.

    Dori Najafabadi's comments came in a letter to an Iranian vice president, urging measures to protect "Islamic culture and revolutionary values".

    While officials regularly lambast Western culture for polluting the minds of the public, Western toys have become a regular and popular feature on the shelves of toy shops in Iran in recent years.

    Affluent Iranian parents are known for indulging their children and the purchase of such toys has become for many an obligatory treat.

    But Dori Najafabadi said: "These toys, which do not respect the required norms, present dangers for the health of children and affect the survival of toy factories in this country."

    Two years ago, police raided toy shops to put black stickers on the packaging of Barbie dolls to hide their bodies. In public in Iran, women must cover all bodily contours, a rule that Barbie conspicuously fails to obey.

    Iran has already launched its answer to Barbie and her partner Ken -- Sara and Dara, who show full respect for the country's Islamic rules. But they have not succeeded in countering the popularity of Barbie.

    iran
  • Dokhtar Bandari
    Member
    • Oct 2007
    • 1099

    #2
    It is ok to put in the mind of our children the crap about martyrdom and killing of non believers, promoting violent and enforcing dictatorship, removing any human dignity and god given freedom, disunity and hate... but its not ok for children to have a Barbie doll....

    Vaghti migam aghleshoon to konneshoneh... shokhi nemikonam.
    I would be true, for there are those who trust me;
    I would be pure, for there are those who care;
    I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
    I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
    I would be friend of all—the foe—the friendless;
    I would be giving and forget the gift;
    I would be humble, for I know my weakness;
    I would look up and laugh—and love—and lift.
    Howard Walter

    Comment

    • indian_blues
      Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 1893

      #3
      One mistake doesn't make other one right db.

      I think I read somewhere Russia too banned Barbie dolls because of it grows inferiority among kids who aren't physically beautiful.
      “I want to feel passion, I want to feel pain. I want to weep at the sound of your name. Come make me laugh, come make me cry... just make me feel alive.”

      If you wish to be loved, show more of your faults than your virtues. - Edward Bulwer-Lytton


      Comment

      • malik519
        Newbie
        • May 2008
        • 10

        #4
        I don't think Barbies are such a problem and can't understand why they want to ban them.
        It is just a toy after all!
        Think 100 times before you take a decision, But once that decision is taken, stand by it as one man.

        Comment

        • Rasputin
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2005
          • 63906

          #5

          iran

          Comment

          • purrsian_cat
            Member
            • Dec 2005
            • 1788

            #6
            Originally posted by RedWine View Post

            Iran has already launched its answer to Barbie and her partner Ken -- Sara and Dara, who show full respect for the country's Islamic rules. But they have not succeeded in countering the popularity of Barbie.

            LOL thats like saying 'why is Star Burger (iran) not as popular as Mc Donald!'


            To kids Barbie is just a doll, to adults, Barbie seems like a threat as she is ''perfect'' which doenst reflect the real world. I'm sure most young kids dont look at it in that way.
            Last edited by purrsian_cat; 03-13-2009, 04:08 AM.
            .Proud to be Persian.

            Comment

            Working...