Takhteh Nard (Backgammon)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kina
    Member
    • Sep 2005
    • 70

    #16
    Originally posted by RedWine
    In Yahoo ?!
    MSN

    Comment

    • Rostam
      Member
      • Aug 2005
      • 739

      #17
      sorry I know : Alag dolang , mishe dar MSL ya Yhoo bazie kard ?

      Comment

      • Rostam
        Member
        • Aug 2005
        • 739

        #18
        sorry Redwine,

        I will leave this site before you kick me out you go ahead and play Backgammon.....

        Comment

        • Cop
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2003
          • 6619

          #19
          Rostam oon alaNgo dolange badesham oon 2ta shakhsiate tooye ye kartoon age eshteba nakonam

          sheresham injor bod alango dolang baziii mikonan kheiliiii ghashang lool baghiash yadam nemiat

          BTW, guyz berid tooye introduction section ye thread baz konid va khodetono moarefi konid ta bishtar ashena shim

          Comment

          • Rostam
            Member
            • Aug 2005
            • 739

            #20
            Originally posted by Cop
            Rostam oon alaNgo dolange badesham oon 2ta shakhsiate tooye ye kartoon age eshteba nakonam

            sheresham injor bod alango dolang baziii mikonan kheiliiii ghashang lool baghiash yadam nemiat

            BTW, guyz berid tooye introduction section ye thread baz konid va khodetono moarefi konid ta bishtar ashena shim
            dorest migie cop,

            Yadam miad ke bache boodam, ma bazie mikardim.

            yadash bekhir.

            Comment

            • koh
              Member
              • Sep 2005
              • 156

              #21
              man bazi mikonam vally har dasti 1000 dollar.
              999 ham namishe chone nazanin lotfan ghimat maghtoe!!

              Comment

              • jjbb
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2005
                • 8813

                #22
                Originally posted by RedWine
                Sharti bazi konim
                sare chi

                Comment

                • Rasputin
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • 63906

                  #23
                  Originally posted by jjbb
                  sare chi
                  man kamtar az 3000€ bazi nemikonam .

                  iran

                  Comment

                  • Cop
                    Senior Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • 6619

                    #24
                    agha ma hokm bazi mikonim sharte har chi ke begid

                    Comment

                    • Rasputin
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2005
                      • 63906

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Cop
                      agha ma hokm bazi mikonim sharte har chi ke begid
                      Nah Mammad jan...bi khial... banket varshikaste misheh ka !

                      iran

                      Comment

                      • jjbb
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2005
                        • 8813

                        #26
                        misheh in bazi ra dar internet kard/

                        Comment

                        • Rasputin
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2005
                          • 63906

                          #27
                          You can play it in lots of links but the best is yahoo !

                          iran

                          Comment

                          • khanoomi
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005
                            • 5597

                            #28
                            Takhte shartiam mizanima
                            خواهی که جهان در کف اقبال تو باشد؟ خواهان کسی باش که خواهان تو باشد

                            Comment

                            • Rasputin
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2005
                              • 63906

                              #29
                              Backgammon… It's not just a game

                              Part I

                              Backgammon, or Takhteh Nard (Battle on Wood) in Persian, is not just a game; it's a culture, a history, and part of the Iranian identity. People all across Asia claim the game as their own and Iranians are no exception. The game has evolved throughout time and many believe that it is the oldest recorded game in history - even more ancient than chess - and despite all the churches and mosques banning it at various points throughout history, the game has survived and is more widespread now than ever before. The game is a growing phenomenon played by Iranians, Greeks, Arabs, Turks, Chinese, Russians and many more in cafes, hooka bars, and homes all across the world. I even visited a backgammon bar while I was in Greece a couple years ago where dozens of Greek youth were playing while having a drink. The game means different things to different people, but for me, as a child growing up in northern Orange County, I learned to play many games, but I grew to love backgammon for three reasons.

                              The First Reason: Unlike chess, backgammon has a strategy component as well as a luck component through two pieces of dice you roll each time it's your turn and for that reason some people find the game unsatisfying relative to chess, a game based purely on strategy and no luck. Chess players hold their game in higher regard because they believe that chess is more realistic as they feel it can better parallel the world, especially when viewing the history of the Great Game between Britain and Russia during the 19 th century when they competed for territory in Asia. More recently, chess and its strategy of positioning pieces can be seen through the lens of the Cold War when America and the Soviet Union positioned themselves against each other in various countries. What most chess fans fail to consider, however, is that luck plays an important role in the world arena, even in world politics, which is why I feel that backgammon is more relative as it employs luck as well as strategy to its game.

                              The Second Reason: My grandfather taught me how to play. There was a language barrier between us. Where I spoke broken Persian as a child, he spoke broken English, but while playing backgammon, we spoke the same language. We bonded and through that bond, I was a bit closer to my Iranian identity. Like I said before, growing up Iranian or Middle Eastern in America is no easy task, whether it is after the Hostage Crisis or after September 11 th . In our struggle for a sense of self, many of us immigrants connect to our homeland via different concepts. Some Iranians growing up in America are able to identify with being Iranian for a number of reasons such as their love for the Persian language, poetry from Sa'adi, Hafez, or Rumi, Iranian history, Persian dance, Iranian cuisines, their relationship with their parents or grandparents, etc. For me as well as many others, it was a combination of the aforementioned concepts. Backgammon, however, helped pave the way for me to connect to my grandfather and through my grandfather, Iran. We spent and still spend countless hours playing and while competing in the historic game, he'll tell me about his life in pre-developed Iran and onwards and his life isn't just a personal story, it is the story of a nation from a man's perspective who witnessed great events as well as personal experiences that will not be found in any history book on Iran.

                              iran

                              Comment

                              • Rasputin
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2005
                                • 63906

                                #30
                                Part II

                                The Third Reason: Anyone who considers himself an avid contender will know that backgammon is nothing, no fun at all, without the trash talk or kor kori khoondan . As a child playing my grandfather I didn't talk any kor kori mostly because I was a novice and as such, I was rarely winning to be able to talk trash, but I certainly listened to a lot of it, and it was quite witty I might add. For instance, my grandfather would be ahead 3-0 and he'd ask me what the score was, even though he knew, so I'd be reduced to telling him that I was zero and him three and he'd always jokingly follow with: “kay heech shodi,” or “when did you become zero?”

                                In any case, when UC Berkeley's Iranian Student Alliance in America held a backgammon tournament, I knew I had to compete not just to win, but to make my backgammon mentor proud. And although I lost in the final round and won second place, I came back with a full heart in the next two tournaments and won first place both times around. He never said so, but I knew he was proud to know his apprentice was representing not just him, but his homeland. Like I said before, backgammon is not just a game, it's a culture, a history, and part of my Iranian identity.

                                Some recommendations to consider:

                                Never play on Yahoo because Yahoo backgammon rules do not conform to Iranian backgammon rules.
                                When given a choice of playing on a wooden board or a cardboard table, always choose the wooden board, as the sound of the dice rolling on the board is key to any game experience.
                                Never play with dice that have rounded corners because the dice will spin after you roll them, where perfectly square dice with flat edges land perfectly without any spin.

                                iran

                                Comment

                                Working...