Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eye On U.K

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Iranian militants demand return of British diplomatic compound

    Britain's tense relations with Iran are likely to be further strained next week by an officially linked campaign demanding the handover of the British embassy residence compound in Tehran.
    Hardliners will stage a conference demanding the return to Iran of Gholhak gardens, a 200,000 sq metre (50-acre) compound providing accommodation for British diplomats and their families.

    The compound, in north Tehran's up-market Shemiran district, was presented to Britain at the height of its imperial might by the Qajar monarchy in the 19th century. It is separate from the sprawling British embassy complex several miles further south.

    Bordered by high walls and guarded round the clock by Iran's diplomatic police, the grounds are home to the British Council. They also contain a school and a graveyard, where the remains of British soldiers killed in the first and second world wars are buried.
    But the hardliners say Britain's ownership was asserted illegally during the reign of Reza Shah in the 1930s.

    "During the Reza Shah period the British embassy, without going through the proper legal processes, registered this area under its name," Muhammad Mehdi Shirmohammadi, the conference secretary, told the Guardian.

    "This is while they could have bought it. They can buy it now if they like. But first they should accept that the historical process was wrong and then they are free to buy."

    British diplomats have avoided commenting on the controversy. But organisers of the conference on Monday are seeking to end the official silence by inviting Geoffrey Adams, Britain's ambassador to Iran, to attend, along with Iranian experts in Islamic and civil law. A British embassy spokesman said Mr Adams had yet to decide whether to go.

    The event is being organised under the auspices of the Foundation for the Preservation and Publication of Sacred Defence Works and Values, a state body ultimately controlled by Iran's supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

    It follows a long-running campaign spearheaded by pro-government groups such as the Islamist Basij volunteer militia and fundamentalist MPs. Several demonstrations have been staged outside the gardens by militant student groups. Last year, 162 MPs wrote to the parliamentary speaker, Gholamali Haddad-Adel demanding an investigation into the gardens' status.

    Last month MPs tabled a bill calling on the government to force Britain to return Gholhak and turn it into an anti-colonial museum.

    Iranian officials have been reported as saying they would be prepared to grant Britain ownership in exchange for Hyde Park in London.

    The row is symbolic of the resentment felt by many Iranians towards Britain, which is still widely seen as an arrogant colonial power, and comes amid a prolonged period of tension between the two countries, particularly over Iran's nuclear programme. Britain has supported security council sanctions over Tehran's refusal to suspend uranium enrichment.

    Last month, Iranian guests attending the Queen's birthday party at the British embassy were harassed by demonstrators after an officially orchestrated campaign aimed at urging invitees to boycott it.

    A British embassy spokesman said Iran had not mounted an official challenge to Britain's ownership of the gardens.

    "As far as we're concerned, there is no question about their ownership," he said.

    "Our lawyers have looked up all the proper legal documents and found no problem at all," he said.

    Comment


    • اول، سر کریستوفر مایر، سفیر سابق بریتانیا در آمریکا بود که با چاپ کتاب خاطرات سال های ماموریتش در واشنگتن، از روابط نزدیک بین تونی بلر و جرج بوش پرده برداشت، روابطی که بعد از حملات ۱۱ سپتامبر ۲۰۰۱ ماهیت تازه ای پیدا کرد و در همکاری برای حمله به عراق بحث انگیز شد.
      جناب سفیر که بعد از بازگشت به لندن و ترک خدمت دولت، رئیس کمسیون رسیدگی به شکایات از مطبوعات شد، در یادداشت های روزانه اش به نام "واشنگتن دی سی - محرمانه" از تونی بلر شخصیتی ترسیم کرد که حاضرشد برای حفظ روابط نزدیک با آمریکا با جرج بوش در جنگ عراق همراه شود. ادعایی که اگرچه نخست وزیر سابق همواره آن را بی اساس خواند، ولی در تنزل محبوبیت او در میان مردم بی اثر نبود.

      سر کریستوفر که کتابش از پر فروش ترینها شد و برای مدتی ستاره برنامه های سیاسی رادیو و تلویزیون هم بود، در پاسخ به انتقادهای طرفداران نخست وزیر سابق که گفتند به عنوان سفیر تونی بلر در واشنگتن باید وفادار می ماند و سکوت می کرد گفت اولا در مورد مسائلی مانند جنگ که منافع عمومی مطرح است باید شفاف تر بود و ثانیا او تمام ماجرا را عیان نکرده است. شگردی ماهرانه که بگوید غصه نخورید که شاید کتاب دومی در راه باشد.


      کمبل در کتاب سالهای بلر می نویسد، در هنگام بحث در کابینه دولت درباره همراه شدن با آمریکا در جنگ عراق، تونی بلر تک و تنها ماند و حتی معاونش هم درباره عقلانی بودن لشکر کشی به عراق ابراز تردید کرد، ولی نهایتا آنطور شد که دیدیم .



      اما کتاب دومی که هفته پیش به بازار آمد کار سر کریستوفر نبود. "سال های بلر" نوشته الیستر کمبل است که ۸ سال سخنگوی تونی بلر و مسئول امور رسانه ای او بود. جناب کمبل که به گفته خودش بعضی اوقات صبح و شب با نخست وزیر بود و در یادداشتهایش از مشورت های سیاسی دیر هنگام و در هنگام مسواک کردن دندان یاد کرده است، پا را از افشا گری های سر کریستوفر هم فراتر گذاشته و می نویسد در هنگام بحث در کابینه دولت درباره همراه شدن با آمریکا در جنگ عراق، تونی بلر تک و تنها ماند و حتی معاونش هم درباره عقلانی بودن لشکرکشی به عراق ابراز تردید کرد، ولی نهایتا آنطور شد که دیدیم.

      آلیستر کمبل هم از حمله و انتقاد طرفداران تونی بلر مصون نماند، ولی از شخصی که مهارتش در بهره برداری تبلیغاتی از رسانه ها حزب کارگر را حزب "نوین" کارگر کرد و از تونی بلر جوان نخست وزیری ساخت که در ۳ انتخابات پارلمانی پی در پی پیروز شد، انتظار سکوت خوش خیالی بود.

      آقای کمبل که همچنان میهمان اصلی چندین برنامه خبری - سیاسی رادیو - تلویزیونی است گفت اگر دیگران هم چنین خاطراتی داشتند و به خود جرات هم می دادند حتما می نوشتند.

      بهرحال، این نویسندگان جسور و با شهامت که حتما برای خدمت به تاریخ ما را از جزئیات افکار و لحظات زندگی خصوصی ارباب سیاسی شان مطلع کردند تا حالا نگفته اند که از برکت خدمتشان به دموکراسی چقدر به جیب خواهند زد!

      Comment


      • LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said on Monday he would not rule out military action against Iran, but believed a policy of sanctions could still persuade Tehran to drop its disputed nuclear program.

        "I firmly believe that the sanctions policy that we are pursuing will work, but I'm not one who's going forward to say that we rule out any particular form of action," Brown told a news conference, when asked if he would rule out a military strike against Iran.

        The United Nations Security Council has imposed two rounds of sanctions since December on Iran for failing to halt enrichment, a process which can produce fuel for power plants or material for warheads. A third sanctions resolution is being considered.

        Western powers suspect Iran's activities are secretly aimed at producing atom bombs. Tehran says its nuclear program is for purely peaceful ends.

        Iran resumed working with the U.N. watchdog International Atomic Energy Agency this month to clear up outstanding questions about its nuclear activity and improve IAEA inspectors' access to its enrichment plant.

        This, say some European diplomats, has prompted the six big powers working on the issue -- the United States, Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany -- to quietly put off until September efforts to toughen existing sanctions, in hopes Iran's improved cooperation with U.N. inspectors may defuse the standoff.

        "I firmly believe the sanctions we are imposing on Iran are sanctions that are having an effect already ... we are going to have to consider what we do in future," Brown said.

        "There will probably be a third resolution in relation to Iran soon ...I appeal to the Iranian authorities to understand the feelings that other countries have about the development of their nuclear weapons program."

        Comment


        • تاکید گوردون براون بر روابط نزدیک با آمریکا


          براون بر روابط نزدیک با آمریکا تاکید کرد
          گوردون براون نخست وزیر بریتانیا، در آستانه سفر به آمریکا بار دیگر بر نزدیکی روابط دو کشور تاکید کرد.
          آقای براون روز یکشنبه 29 ژوئیه، در نخستین سفر خارجی خود از زمان رسیدن به مقام نخست وزیری بریتانیا، به ایالات متحده آمریکا سفر می کند.

          وی در این سفر، با جورج بوش رئیس جمهور آمریکا دیدار و گفتگو خواهد کرد.

          گوردون براون گفت که رابطه با آمریکا بیشترین اهمیت را در روابط خارجی بریتانیا دارد.

          لرد مارک ملک براون، معاون وزارت خارجه بریتانیا، اخیراً گفته بود که لندن و واشنگتن، از این پس مسیر مشترکی در سیاست خارجی خود نخواهند داشت.

          آقای ملک براون، دو هفته پیش در مصاحبه ای با روزنامه دیلی تلگراف پیش بینی کرده بود که بریتانیا و ایالات متحده، تحت نخست وزیری آقای براون، دیگر مانند قبل، سیاست یکپارچه و پیوسته ای نخواهند داشت.

          این اظهار نظر، باعث افزایش شایعاتی درباره تجدید نظر بریتانیا در روابط با آمریکا شده بود.

          اما برخلاف این گفته، نخست وزیر بریتانیا گفت که او در سفر به واشنگتن، راههای کار مشترک با آمریکا را، به همراه رئیس جمهور آن کشور بررسی خواهد کرد.

          ارتباط با آمریکا، به گفته گوردون براون، مهمترین بخش روابط خارجی بریتانیا محسوب می شود.

          از زمان به دست گرفتن قدرت در 27 ژوئن امسال، این نخستین دیدار گوردون براون با جورج بوش رئیس جمهور آمریکا خواهد بود.


          Comment


          • تحقیق درباره ادعای استراق سمع از نماینده مسلمان پارلمان بریتانیا


            صدیق خان می گوید او وظایف معمول یک نماینده پارلمان را انجام داده بود
            جک استرا، وزیر دادگستری بریتانیا دستور تحقیق درباره اتهاماتی را داده است که بر اساس آن اسکاتلند یارد، با استفاده از دستگاه استراق سمع، صحبت های یک نماینده مسلمان پارلمان بریتانیا با یک زندانی را گوش کرده است.
            جک استرا، گفت چنانچه صحبت های صدیق خان، نماینده پارلمان بریتانیا با یک زندانی موسوم به بابار احمد، که در حوزه انتخاباتی صدیق خان زندگی می کند، ضبط شده باشد، اسکاتلند یارد، مقرراتی را که بر اساس آن صحبت های نمایندگان پارلمان را نمی توان مخفیانه ضبط کرد، نقض کرده است.

            ادعا شده که اسکاتلند یارد، گفتگوی صدیق خان با بابار احمد را که دوست کودکی وی بوده و در حوزه انتخاباتی او زندگی می کرد، ضبط کرده است.

            بابار احمد متهم است که وبسایتی را اداره می کرده که از شورشیان چچن و طالبان حمایت می کند و اگرچه در بریتانیا هیچ اتهامی به او وارد نشده آمریکا درخواست استرداد او را کرده است.

            تحقیقات وزارت دادگستری بریتانیا روشن خواهد کرد که آیا صحبت های صدیق خان که اکنون عضو کابینه بریتانیاست در جریان ملاقات های او با بابار احمد در زندان در سال های 2005 و 2006 توسط یک دستگاه استراق سمع که آنرا زیر میز مخفی کرده بودند، ضبط شده یا نه.

            صدیق خان از تحقیقات وزارت دادگستری بریتانیا در این باره استقبال کرده است.

            بابار احمد توسط آمریکا متهم به ارتکاب جرائم تروریستی شده است و در حال حاضر دادگاه اروپایی حقوق بشر، سرگرم رسیدگی به درخواست نهایی تجدید نظر در حکم استردادش به آمریکاست.


            Comment


            • Comment


              • گوردون براون، نخست وزیر بریتانیا، گفته است که در استراتژی جدید برخورد با مسائل پاکستان و افغانستان باید از هماهنگی بیشتری برخوردار بود.

                او گفت که منطقه مرزی میان دو کشور، مرکزی برای "تروریسم" بوده و یک تهدید مستقیم به امنیت بریتانیا تلقی می شود.


                قرار است که بریتانیا برای افزایش امنیت انتخابات افغانستان 700 سرباز به تعداد سربازان خود در آن کشور اضافه کند.


                بدین ترتیب تعداد نظامیان بریتانیا مستقر در افغانستان به 9000 نفر خواهد رسید.


                احزاب مخالف بریتانیا دولت این کشور را به نداشتن استراتژی مشخصی در برخورد با تهدیدهای امنیتی در پاکستان و افغانستان متهم می کنند.


                با این حال، آقای براون که اخیرا از سفر به این دو کشور باز گشته، گفته است که شیوه برخورد دولت او با پاکستان و افغانستان باید "متفاوت اما تکمیل کننده یکدیگر" باشد.


                گوردون براون گفته که بین عوامل وابسته به طالبان که در هر دو کشور فعالیت می کنند رابطه مشخصی وجود دارد.


                او گفت که بریتانیا در طول چهار سال آینده 665 میلیون پوند برای مقابله با تروریسم، کمک مالی در اختیار دولت پاکستان خواهد گذاشت.


                در مورد افغانستان نیز، بریتانیا تعهد کرده که 500 میلیون پوند ظرف چهار سال آینده برای توسعه آن کشور و مقابله با فقر در اختیار دولت افغانستان قرار دهد.


                استراتژی جدید دولت بریتانیا شباهت زیادی با استراتژی باراک اوباما، رییس جمهور آمریکا، در خصوص پاکستان و افغانستان دارد.


                آقای براون در سفر خود به منطقه گفته بود که تلاش برای شکست دادن "تروریسم بین المللی" باید در پاکستان و افغانستان به ثمر برسد.


                او گفت سه چهارم "فعالیتهای تروریستی" در بریتانیا از منطقه مرزی میان افغانستان و پاکستان ریشه می گیرد.


                Comment


                • The government published a blacklist on Tuesday of people recently banned from the country including a Hamas lawmaker and a Jewish extremist, as well as anti-gay protestors and a far-right US talk show host.

                  Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said she decided to publish the "name and shame" list -- which identifies 16 people banned since last October -- for the first time to clarify what behaviour Britain will not tolerate.

                  "I think it's important that people understand the sorts of values and sorts of standards that we have here, the fact that it's a privilege to come and the sort of things that mean you won't be welcome in this country," she said.

                  "If you can't live by the rules that we live by ... we should exclude you from this country and, what's more, now we will make public those people that we have excluded," she told the GMTV broadcaster.

                  Between October and April the Home Office excluded 22 people for "fostering extremism or hatred" included preachers Abdullah Qadri Al Ahdal, Yunis Al Astal and Amir Siddique, said a Home Office statement.

                  Hamas MP Yunis Al-Astal, Jewish extremist Mike Guzovsky, former Ku Klux Klan leader Stephen Donald Black and neo-Nazi Erich Gliebe are also on the list, as is controversial radio host Michael Alan Weiner, also known as Michael Savage.

                  Others blacklisted include homophobic US pastor Fred Waldron Phelps, as well as Artur Ryno and Pavel Skachevsky, former leaders of a violent Russian skinhead gang which committed 20 racially motivated murders.

                  Smith said: "The government opposes extremism in all its forms and I am determined to stop those who want to spread extremism, hatred and violent messages in our communities from coming to our country.

                  "This is the driving force behind tighter rules on exclusions for unacceptable behaviour," she added.

                  Six of those excluded recently were not named because it would not be "in the public interest," said the Home Office.

                  In February Britain triggered a formal protest from the Netherlands after refusing entry to far-right Dutch lawmaker Geert Wilders, maker of a controversial film linking Islam to terrorist attacks.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X