Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French plane lost in Atlantic storm

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    A 12-mile oil slick near where an Air France jet crashed Monday into the Atlantic Ocean indicates the plane likely didn't break up until it hit the water, Brazil's defense minister said Wednesday.

    Comment


    • #18
      The Brazilian air force said that debris picked up Thursday near where officials believe Air France Flight 447 crashed Monday into the Atlantic Ocean was not from the plane.

      Comment


      • #19
        Two officials say investigators in an Air France jet crash are looking at whether speed data instruments malfunctioned.

        The officials, who have knowledge of the investigation, say an iced-over external probe or a bad speed sensor may have fed inaccurate data to onboard computers controlling the jet.

        The officials spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to discuss the case.

        Aviation analyst Bill Voss said if the plane was traveling too fast in heavy turbulence, it could break apart. If traveling too slow, it could stall.

        The Airbus A330 crashed into the Atlantic Ocean on a flight from Rio de Janeiro to Paris Sunday night with 228 people on board. Airline officials say there were no survivors.

        THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

        FERNANDO DE NORONHA, Brazil (AP) — A Brazilian helicopter crew recovered the first wreckage from Air France Flight 447 on Thursday, pulling a cargo pallet from the sea. No sign of human remains have been spotted, and Air France has told families that the jetliner broke apart, killing all 228 people on board.

        Two buoys — standard emergency equipment on planes — also were recovered from the Atlantic Ocean about 340 miles (550 kilometers) northeast of Brazil's northern Fernando de Noronha islands by the helicopter crew, which was working off a Brazilian navy ship.

        Air France's CEO Pierre-Henri Gourgeon told family members at a private meeting that the Airbus A330 disintegrated, either in the air or when it slammed into the ocean and there were no survivors, according to Guillaume Denoix de Saint-Marc, a grief counselor who was asked by Paris prosecutors to help counsel relatives.

        Soldiers at Fernando de Noronha's airport, where any recovered human remains would be taken, unloaded body bags and a refrigerator truck on Thursday from a military plane.

        Flight 447 disappeared en route from Rio de Janeiro to Paris on Sunday night, the deadliest crash in Air France history and the world's worst commercial air accident since 2001.

        With the crucial "black box" voice and data recorders still missing, investigators were relying heavily on the plane's automated messages to help reconstruct what happened as the jet flew through towering thunderstorms.

        The messages detail a series of failures that end with its systems shutting down, suggesting the plane broke apart in the sky, according to an aviation industry official with knowledge of the investigation who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the crash.

        "What is clear is that there was no landing. There's no chance the escape slides came out," said Denoix de Saint-Marc, who heads a victims' association for UTA Flight 772, which Libyan terrorists downed with a suitcase bomb in 1989.

        France's accident investigation agency said only two findings have been established so far: One is that the series of automatic messages sent from Flight 447 gave conflicting signals about the plane's speed; the other is that the flight path went through dangerously stormy weather.

        The agency warned against any "hasty interpretation or speculation" after the French newspaper Le Monde reported, without naming sources, that the Air France plane was flying at the wrong speed.

        France has invited the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board to help in the accident investigation. The U.S. team also includes General Electric Aviation of Cincinnati, Ohio, which made the plane's engines, and Honeywell International Inc. of Morristown, N.J., which made the black boxes and parts of the communication and navigation systems.

        Seas were calm Thursday with periodic rain as ships converged on three debris sites to recover wreckage, but French military spokesman Christophe Prazuck said extreme cloudiness" prevented U.S. satellites from helping.

        "The clock is ticking on finding debris before they spread out and before they sink or disappear," Prazuck said. "That's the priority now, the next step will be to look for the black boxes."

        French planes and a U.S. Navy P-3C Orion surveillance plane joined Brazil's Air Force, whose pilots guided Navy ships to debris areas across a search zone of 2,300 square miles (6,000 square kilometers), said Brazil Air Force Gen. Ramon Borges Cardoso.

        Other debris spotted so far includes a 23-foot (seven-meter) chunk of plane, an airline seat, an oil slick and several large brown and yellow pieces that Cardoso said probably came from inside the plane.

        Brazil's Defense Minister Nelson Jobim said debris had spread more than 140 miles (230 kilometers) apart in currents roughly 400 miles (640 kilometers) northeast of the Fernando de Noronha islands off Brazil's northern coast, where the ocean floor drops as low as 22,950 feet (7,000 meters) below sea level.

        The Pourquoi Pas, a French sea research vessel carrying manned and unmanned submarines, is heading from the Azores and will be in the search zone by June 12, Prazuck said. The equipment includes the Nautile, a mini-sub used to explore the undersea wreckage of the Titanic, according to French marine institute Ifremer.

        But the lead French investigator has questioned whether the recorders will ever be found in such deep and rugged underwater terrain.

        The mourning continues — more than 500 people packed the historic Candelaria church in the center of Rio de Janeiro Thursday for a Mass for the victims of crash. Some relatives quietly sobbed and others wore sunglasses to hide reddened eyes.

        Carlos Eduardo Esteves, a 22-year-old law school student, came to remember Air France crew member Lucas Gagliano, a Brazilian who was on his way back home to France after attending his father's funeral.

        His eyes tearing up, Esteves said they had been friends for years.

        "This is a form of saying goodbye to him. I feel so much loss, the nation has lost so much."

        The last message from the pilot was a manual signal at 11 p.m. local time Sunday saying he was flying through an area of black, electrically charged cumulonimbus clouds that come with violent winds and lightning. The automated messages that followed suggest the plane broke apart in the sky, according to the aviation industry official.

        At 11:10 p.m., a cascade of problems began: the autopilot had disengaged, a key computer system switched to alternative power, and controls needed to keep the plane stable had been damaged. An alarm sounded indicating the deterioration of flight systems. Then, systems for monitoring air speed, altitude and direction failed. Then controls over the main flight computer and wing spoilers failed as well. At 11:14 p.m., a final automatic message signaled loss of cabin pressure and complete electrical failure as the plane was breaking apart.

        Patrick Smith, a U.S. airline pilot and aviation analyst, said the failures could have begun with a loss of electrical power, possibly as the result of an extremely strong lightning bolt.

        "What jumps out at me is the reported failure of both the primary and standby instruments," Smith said. "From that point the plane basically becomes unflyable."

        "If they lost control and started spiraling down into a storm cell, the plane would begin disintegrating, the engines and wings would start coming off, the cabin would begin falling apart," he said.

        The pilot of a Spanish airliner flying nearby at the time reported seeing a bright flash of white light plunging to the ocean, said Angel del Rio, spokesman for the Spanish airline Air Comet.

        "Suddenly, off in the distance, we observed a strong and bright flash of white light that took a downward and vertical trajectory and vanished in six seconds," the pilot wrote in his report, del Rio told the AP.

        The pilot of the Spanish plane, en route from Lima, Peru to Madrid, said he heard no emergency calls.

        France's defense minister and the Pentagon have said there were no signs that terrorism was involved, and Jobim, the Brazilian defense minister, said "that possibility hasn't even been considered."

        Comment


        • #20
          A Brazilian navy frigate navigated deep waters of the Atlantic on Saturday, carrying the bodies of two men confirmed as passengers of an Air France plane that crashed nearly a week earlier.

          Comment


          • #21

            Comment


            • #22

              Comment


              • #23
                Seventeen bodies have been recovered from last week's crash of an Air France jetliner off the South American coast, Brazil's military said Sunday.

                Comment


                • #24
                  It's been little more than a week since an Air France jet crashed into the Atlantic Ocean, bringing a horrific end to the lives of the 228 people aboard.

                  Comment


                  • #25

                    Comment


                    • #27
                      www.eurocockpit.com

                      Comment


                      • #28
                        Dismal financial prospects for the airline industry and the puzzling crash of an Air France Airbus have cast a pall over this year's biennial Paris Air Show.

                        Aviation industry executives and analysts foresee few blockbuster orders emerging from the week-long exposition at Le Bourget near Paris, which this year celebrates its 100th anniversary.

                        Grappling with dwindling demand and rising oil prices, the airline industry, according to the International Air Transport Association, could lose 9.0 billion dollars (6.4 billion euros) this year, almost double an estimate made three months ago.

                        Under the circumstances, according to Louis Gallois, chief executive at the European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company (EADS), Airbus' parent company, "this will not be air show of orders."

                        Two years ago -- well before the world fell into recession -- manufacturers Airbus and US rival Boeing won 800 orders worth more than 100 billion dollars (71 billion euros).

                        "I don't expect any major announcements next week in terms of sales," said IHS Jane's aviation analyst Chris Yates, who described the state of the industry as "precarious".

                        "And that's going to be the case until we come out of this recession."

                        Organisers are nonetheless predicting the presence of 2,000 exhibitors, a record, and around 300,000 visitors, roughly the same as in 2007.

                        "This ... air show is overshadowed by two events," Airbus head Thomas Enders told a seminar here, recalling the still unexplained June 1 loss over the Atlantic of an Air France Airbus A330 and the deep financial crisis that has whacked global aviation.

                        Enders, who last week described the A330 as "one of the safest planes ever built" and appealed for patience during the accident probe, said that while Airbus still hoped to receive around 300 orders this year the final tally "could be considerably lower".

                        From January 1 to May 31 this year Airbus received 11 orders and 21 cancellations. The company in 2008 overtook US rival Boeing with 777 orders and 483 deliveries.

                        Boeing has said that from January 1 to June 2 it had received 65 new orders, offset by 65 cancellations.

                        "Priority number one is to secure deliveries and support our customers," Enders said, stressing that 2010 and 2011 would be critical years for the airline sector as it struggles to overcome the impact of global recession.

                        In addition to questions raised by the loss of the Air France jet, which took the lives of all 228 board, Airbus must also contend with major delays to its A400M military transporter.

                        Gallois hailed as "good news" a decision by French President Nicholas Sarkozy and German Chancellor Angela Merkel to allow six more months of discussion on the fate of the 20-billion-euro A400M programme, which is now at least three years behind schedule because of technical problems.

                        France and Germany, along with Spain and Britain, are the principal participants in Airbus.

                        "My hope is that we could have some kind of agreement before the end of the year," Gallois said.

                        "France and Germany haven't the capacity to decide alone," he added, but they represent "the first stone of the building".

                        Gallois noted that Britain has some "specific requests ... we will see if we can accommodate some of them."

                        Clients signed up so far for the A400M are Germany, Spain, France, Britain, Turkey, Belgium and Luxembourg, some of whom have threatened to abandon the deal, forcing EADS to re-negotiate delivery schedules.

                        Boeing too has encountered development problems and delays with its long-haul, fuel-efficient 787 Dreamliner, although company officials now hope to see the aircraft make its first test flight before the end of the month.

                        But the 787, along with the A400M, is likely to be a no-show at Le Bourget this week.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X